Friday, January 4, 2008

Walls are easy - stairs, not so much.

This has been a slow time for the studio in years past. I thought it would be a good time to work on the add-on we've been wanting. Clients didn't let up this year, but I've been able to spend parts of days working on the 2 story project.
Walls, floors, even the roof have gone well. The part that has me stymied is the stairs. It's a simple run of stairs with no turns or fold back... but I haven't been able to get it done.
When I built the original building I did the same thing. Then, when I knew I couldn't put it off any more, I built the stairs in one day. (And that was with a turn on a landing.) But it was a month before I could build a little 4 or 5 steps to a room over the main studio.
It reminded me of an old star trek episode where a computer did all the thinking for a group of very nice, but simple people. When they needed to do something outside their abilities the computer would tech them how. Problem was that the know-how only lasted as long as the thing they had to do. Afterwards, back to idiotville. That's how I'm feeling about these stairs.

No comments: