The people you want to come to your shows and buy your music
have more choices than ever. In fact they have so many choices
they're likely to be overwhelmed. And it's not just what band
to follow. Every category you can think of has more choices.
And those choices define them.
have more choices than ever. In fact they have so many choices
they're likely to be overwhelmed. And it's not just what band
to follow. Every category you can think of has more choices.
And those choices define them.
Imagine a skit where one character says, “I’m a skateboarder,
so I like this thing.”
Then another character says, “I’m a straight A student, so I like
this other thing.” As simple, and confining, as that sounds,
it’s pretty much spot on.
so I like this thing.”
Then another character says, “I’m a straight A student, so I like
this other thing.” As simple, and confining, as that sounds,
it’s pretty much spot on.
The fan you want looks in the mirror and sees something
very specific. Their choices reinforce that image.
Especially the people they give their attention to.
very specific. Their choices reinforce that image.
Especially the people they give their attention to.
When you know yourself and own it, people who feel the same
way will be comfortable being your fans.
way will be comfortable being your fans.
Here is where I think artist get into trouble. Just like the fans, we are
full of contradictions with a wide range of emotions. If you are too
specific or just focus on one aspect of yourself you will miss your
chance at a broader audience. Artist can start out good but
whittle away their audience the more they say.
full of contradictions with a wide range of emotions. If you are too
specific or just focus on one aspect of yourself you will miss your
chance at a broader audience. Artist can start out good but
whittle away their audience the more they say.
Another mistake is to go the other direction and try to ride the waves
of changing public tastes. If you are so very current today,
you’ll be out of style tomorrow.
So don’t chase something that can’t be caught.
of changing public tastes. If you are so very current today,
you’ll be out of style tomorrow.
So don’t chase something that can’t be caught.
When your fans look at you they see something of themselves.
They need you in their swirling, changing world.
You’ll grow and mature and they will too right along with you.
As long as you stay relevant to them, you’ll never lack
for work, shows, and sales.
They need you in their swirling, changing world.
You’ll grow and mature and they will too right along with you.
As long as you stay relevant to them, you’ll never lack
for work, shows, and sales.
No comments:
Post a Comment