It’s a delicate dance because you don’t want to push them away
but you don’t want to be thought of as pandering.
My advice has always been, “be yourself”. That is; know who
you are and find where you can connect with your audience.
There are universal themes that transcend ideology and politics
so I’ve always advised artists to explore in those areas.
but you don’t want to be thought of as pandering.
My advice has always been, “be yourself”. That is; know who
you are and find where you can connect with your audience.
There are universal themes that transcend ideology and politics
so I’ve always advised artists to explore in those areas.
But…
If you’ve decided to be in a niche market, you better be all in.
There are a lot of niche markets where the niche is so narrow,
there are only a few bands doing that music.
It’s a small slice, but they get all of it.
There are a lot of niche markets where the niche is so narrow,
there are only a few bands doing that music.
It’s a small slice, but they get all of it.
If you go to white power rallies and want to get on stage
you better be the most racist person there.
If there is a gay genre of music, and I think there is,
you better be super gay.
you better be the most racist person there.
If there is a gay genre of music, and I think there is,
you better be super gay.
I’m not equating these niches. I’m saying that a niche audience
wants to be validated by someone who they can connect to.
You better be real or they’ll reject you.
wants to be validated by someone who they can connect to.
You better be real or they’ll reject you.
That reminds me; does anyone remember when Ellen Degeneres
had a TV show? Not the daily talk show. It was a situation comedy
at night. As in life, the character she played was gay.
The writers made the mistake of focusing on that one thing.
It just got old and the show fizzled out.
had a TV show? Not the daily talk show. It was a situation comedy
at night. As in life, the character she played was gay.
The writers made the mistake of focusing on that one thing.
It just got old and the show fizzled out.
Ellen found success when she showed that she was
a complete person who can connect with a wide audience.
She could have gone the other way and filled a niche,
but I think she made the better choice.
a complete person who can connect with a wide audience.
She could have gone the other way and filled a niche,
but I think she made the better choice.
If you’re quirky, that’s OK. Be yourself. But be
the quirky person people can still relate to.
Then you can blow em’ away with your talent.
the quirky person people can still relate to.
Then you can blow em’ away with your talent.
Between a niche and relatable, I choose relatable.
But you have to choose for yourself.
But you have to choose for yourself.
No comments:
Post a Comment